The FIT WERX Staff
Fit Werx fitters have served as advanced instructors for major bicycle fitting institutes, have won World Pursuit as well as National and State Road Championships, completed Ironmans, have been using power meter based aero analysis for over a decade, have had over fifty tech articles published in national publications and have likely built more custom cycling footbeds than any other retailer in the country. However, this passion for cycling and triathlon means little on its own; there is no way to fit a bicycle well consistently without a fitter who desires to get to know the rider they are working.
Ian Buchanan, Founder
From first time riders to Olympians, Ian has helped thousands of athletes achieve their cycling and triathlon goals. Ian develops much of the Fit Werx fitting and analysis protocols and is responsible for technology training and development. He is regarded as one of the industry leaders in bicycle fitting, cycling biomechanics and bicycle geometry and design. He is dedicated to making sure the Fit Werx differences are delivered daily and provides Fit Werx with corporate direction and is responsible for uniting our staff and initiatives.
- Product development consultant to multiple major bike manufacturers.
- SICI Core Fit Instructor.
- Triathlete Magazine “Tech Support” and contributing writer. First run in May 2002 issue.
- Master Bike Fitter Association founding member.
- 2003 USAT National Coaching Seminars Fit Instructor.
- Co-founded Fit Werx – Road and Triathlon Specialists. 2001.
- One of the first four technicians in the country (and only one in New England) to complete both the Elements and Advanced Training at Serotta Cycles Fit School. October 2001 (Advanced Seminar not available before October 2001).
- Director of Performance Services and Technical Training. Softride Bicycles, Inc. Developed and instructed vehicle dynamics and fitting curriculum. September 2001 to 2002.
- MasterFit University certified foot support specialist. 1994.
- B.S. in Secondary Education and Small Business Management. University of Vermont. 1994.
- Exceptionally mediocre Sport MTB Racer 1991-1993.
- Vermont Cycle Series Junior Road Champion. 1988.
Bruce Bell, Manager/Buyer
Bruce brings over 25 years experience in the bicycle and outdoor industry to Fit Werx. A former sales rep, bike shop owner, and wholesale operations director, he is committed to our clients’ satisfaction through exemplary customer service and leading edge product offerings. Bruce’s passion for bicycles began while riding to recover from knee surgery as a result of a ski racing injury. He has held a USA Cycling license for over 25 years and still competes regularly in road and cyclocross races as a member of Team Fit Werx. Bruce also competes in local TT events as well and was the VT State Champion in his age group in 2013. Bruce is a past board member and treasurer of the Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Coalition and remains a strong advocate for the Vermont cycling community. Bruce is a certified BG Fit technician and continues his fit training with Ian to better serve our clients.
Jim Weaver, Service Manager
After almost thirty years as an attorney, Jim decided he was ready for a change in 2007. After being a Fit Werx client for years, Jim started working with us as part of an internship and he went full-time at Fit Werx in early 2009. In the summer of 2010 Jim assumed the Service Manager role for our Vermont location and is now a mainstay. Whether he is helping a rider find a good road ride in the area, fixing a pesky bottom bracket issue, or carefully building up someone’s new bike to their positioning numbers, Jim is an accomplished technician, a great resource and here to help.
Parlee Stock TT Tri Bike
Parlee Z2 Road Bike
- SICI Certified Fit Technician.
- Campagnolo EPS Certified.
- Shimano T.E.C. Certified.
- SRAM Certified.
- Active cycling enthusiast who has participated in triathlons and is married to a triathlete.
- Has worked directly with Fit Werx founder Ian Buchanan since 2007.
- Bar Certified Attorney.
Coby, Mascot and Chief Greeter
“I started at Fit Werx – Vermont in early 2012 and I’ve yet to meet a cyclist or triathlete that I don’t love! While my co-workers sometimes complain that I leave my hair in places it doesn’t belong and that I like investigating the recycling bins a little too much, I have no idea what they are talking about. Come visit me. I’ll be happy to show you around!”
Dean Phillips, Owner & Lead Fitter, Fit Werx – MA
Dean combines his mechanical engineering background with real world testing, training, and competition in cycling and triathlon. Dean’s comprehensive approach to rider positioning and product selection has benefited countless road cyclists and triathletes at all levels. Regarded as a leading industry authority in aerodynamics and bike positioning, he spends hundreds of hours each year field testing and analyzing the aerodynamic and mechanical properties of body positions and cycling equipment. Due to a running injury, Dean changed his focus from triathlon and started doing hill climbs (even though he is 6’3″) and racing bikes in 2011 and he has done quite well racing for Team Fit Werx.
A few of Dean’s notable results:
2014 – National TT Champion. Master’s 35.
2014 – National 3K Pursuit Champion. Master’s.
2014 – Michael Schott Memorial Circuit Race – 1st place
2014 – Cat 1 upgrade
2013 – GMSR Stage 1 – 2nd place
2013 – GMSR Stage 2 – 3rd place
2012 – MA State Road Champion. Masters 35+
2012 – Cat 2 Upgrade
2012 – 1:04:47 Mt. Washington
2012 – GMSR Stage Winner. Cat 3
2011 – Mt. Washington – 18th overall
2011 – Wells Ave Training Crit C Race – winner (first road race)
- SICI Certified Advanced Fit Technician, performs 300 bike fittings annually.
- Category 1 Road Racer
- Two discipline AG National Champion (TT and Pursuit)
- Course record holder at both the Charlie Baker Cycling Time Trial in Concord MA and ECV Cycling Time Trial in Hamilton, MA (previous course records held by two of the strongest cyclists America has ever produced).
- Father of four.
- Pro triathlete since October 2006, competed in first triathlon in July 2000.
- 1996 World Champion Rower – U23 USA Men’s Eight.
- Captain and 4-year member of United States Naval Academy crew team.
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, United States Naval Academy.
Marty Miserandino, Owner & Manager/Buyer, Fit Werx – MA
Marty’s passion for motivating and inspiring people is evident in everything he does. His charity work for the American Diabetes Associations signature cycling event, the Tour De Cure, has been recognized nationally. Marty brings this same drive and enthusiasm to Fit Werx. His goal is to make sure EVERY client has an outstanding experience.
Parlee Z-Zero Road Bike
Felt IA Tri Bike
- SICI Certified Advanced Fit Technician.
- Trek Precision Fit Certified
- Slowtwitch F.I.S.T. Certified
- Triathlete, multi-time Ironman and Road Cyclist.
- Chairman of the North Shore Tour De Cure, 2011 & 2012.
- 2011 Top Champion Fundraiser, American Diabetes Association, North Shore Tour De Cure.
- Father of two.
- Founder of the Ride for JULES indoor cycling spin-a-thon which raises money for the American Diabetes Association’s signature cycling event, the Tour De Cure.
- Recipient of the American Diabetes Association’s prestigious “Cure. Care. Commitment. Award.”
- Recognized as one of the A.D.A’s leading fundraisers nationwide.
- Manages day-to-day operations at the Peabody location.
Mike Meuse, Technician & Buyer, Fit Werx – MA
Mike’s foray into the cycling industry started in eighth grade when a local bike shop hired him; cycling has been in Mike’s blood a long-time.
Before coming to Fit Werx, Mike was a small parts fabricator and finisher for Parlee Cycles. As a technical lead, Mike is gifted with his hands and is very good at explaining technical concepts in easy to understand terms. As a professional bike fitter, in addition to his long-term fit training with veteran fitters Dean Phillips and Geoff Hull, Mike earned fit certification from SICI in 2012 and Trek Precision Fit in 2014.
Mike raced cyclocross regionally and nationally for five years and has also raced mountain bikes, including 24 hour events. On the road, most recently he has participated in charity rides such as the MS Cape Code Getaway and the ADA’s North Shore Tour De Cure and is currently most focused on endurance adventure events like Rasputitsa, Raid Rockingham, Vermont Overland and D2R2 as well as Farm to Fork Fondos (which Fit Werx sponsors).
Outside of Fit Werx, Mike can be found spending time with his wife Kristy and teaching his toddler how to do cyclocross dismounts!
Custom Parlee Z2 Cross Bike
Brad Frederickson, Technician, Fit Werx – MA
I’ve been building and fixing things since I was young and I managed to parlay that fascination with the mechanical world into a career. Since the start, I have worked on the retail and manufacturing side of the industry. My jobs have included time at Parlee Cycles where I handled warranty/repair work, sub-assembly construction, and Quality Control for all US built frames. I studied History at Arizona State University. My area of focus was 10th-15th century Western Europe and The Levant (aka The Crusades). While my original plan was to pursue a career in medicine, the pull of the bicycle shop was too strong. I’m glad I ended up where I did.
I get to work in a fantastic environment with wonderful people. I also get to work on some of the most amazing machines on the planet. I consider myself exceptionally lucky. Some of my favorite parts of my job and cycling as a sport are building wheels (I lost count a long time ago…); wrapping handlebar tape; riding in the rain; mid-ride coffee stops; any and all one day races (I live for Paris Roubaix and the Ronde van Vlaanderen). When I’m not riding my bike, I spend most of my time cooking and/or eating. My brisket and chocolate creme pie are legendary.”
- Shimano T.E.C. Certified.
- Trek University Certified – Road Modules
Stephen Kozowyk, Technician, Fit Werx – MA
“Just about everyone that grew up bicycling in the mid ’80’s has their story of how they got into bicycling by the inspiration of Greg LeMond’s Tour de France wins. I sure was one of those 15 year olds that jumped off the couch after watching the final week of the Tour in 1986 as it was aired on NBC’s Wide World of Sports to go out and hammer my own version of the TdF stage. I competed in numerous seasons of crits and road races, experiencing wins, losses, crashes, and plenty of road rash, before starting to compete in triathlons. I found triathlon to be safer than road racing and the peace of mind to be in the solo accompaniment on the road utilized my strengths as a collegiate All-American swimmer and my running background to round-out the three disciplines. I eventually fell in love with mountain bike triathlons and competed successfully at the Xterra Triathlon Series as well as participating in two Xterra World Championship Events in Makena, Maui. From triathlon, I gravitated towards cyclocross, because the discipline requires so many skillsets. No course is ever the same and it is often about racing against your own “best” self.
Today, I am pretty much about the “experience” that most two wheel rides can provide. You will find me doing everything from a blissful cruise, to a training ride, gran fondo, gravel grind or cyclocross race. I’ve been involved with the bicycling industry for over 18 years now and have had the pleasure of working alongside some of the most influential people in the industry. I love working with my hands and thinking through solutions to solve technical problems.
Please note that I am hearing impaired (by a genetic disposition in the male genes through my father). I actually feel that this impairment is an asset. My hearing impairment has enabled me to have a heightened sense of focus and vision, which has fueled my creativity for photography. I communicate very well with the use of hearing aids in both ears as well as lip-reading. I have a secret past-time of making mouth watering pizza from scratch (my signature pie is: Olive oil, figs, toasted garlic, fresh rosemary, goat cheese and a little mozzarella accompanied with a great brew).
I am very grateful to be part of the Fit Werx team and to serve those looking to create and enhance their riding experience. My current bike of choice is my 58cm TREK Crockett in Belgian Blue with the SRAM 1X drivetrain which makes it suitable for the variety of riding that I do.”
Joe LoPorto, Owner & Lead Fitter, Fit Werx NYC/NJ
Joe is an avid cyclist, triathlete and runner. Before joining Fit Werx, Joe spent nearly a decade and half on Wall Street working as a money manager and advisor for large institutional clients. He brings a deep analytical background to his experiences as a fitter, in designing custom frames and planning out the nicest bikes ever built! Joe lives in Bergen County, NJ with his wife and four children.
Parlee Z-Zero Custom
KBedford Customs Comp Steel
– SICI Certified Advanced Fit Technician
– Owner, Manager and Lead Fitter of Fit Werx, NJ
– Bar certified attorney with an advanced degrees and certificates in mathematics, finance and accounting
– Graduated St. Peter’s College (B.A.) and Seton Hall University (post-grad)
– Father of four
– Board level charity work for several non-profits and educational institutions
Luke, Service Technician, Fit Werx NYC/NJ